WordPress media payments plugin
- This plugin is a custom implementation on the Feather payment plugin by Katalysis. This manual contains specific information about our plugin, see for more detailed info on Feather and the inner workings of their payment system their help section.
- As of version 2.5.0, Katalysis has options for subscriptions. See under Feather subscription settings for how to work with them. Subscriptions are still a bit experimental.
- As of Katalysis plugin version 2.3.10, you need to accept their terms and agreements to use the plugin. You can agree by checking the box at RO Pay - Feather settings.
- Select 'Free' on your articles if you don''t want to set a price for your article. Selecting 'Katalysis' and setting the price to zero will not work. The plugin defaults to free
Q: What’s the RO Pay WordPress plugin?
A: A WordPress plugin that allows you to install the payment system developed by Katalysis on your site, so people can buy your articles. This system was launched in 2018 and is a work in progress. It's excellent, but not everything you might want to do with a micropayment system for media is possible at this time. It will be possible in the near future. See below for what you can and can't do with it.
Q: Where can I get it?
Q: What is Katalysis?
A: A Dutch digital media technology company that launched in The Netherlands in 2017. Their mission is to create new value for journalism and facilitate copypright management and monetization. For more detailed information on their payment system and accounts: click here.
Q: What is Reporters Online?
A: A Dutch cooperation that provides services to freelance journalists. Chief among those services: publication of your articles in Blendle and other digital newsstands, and this plugin.
A lot of the stuff below, possibly with the exception of 'Money', is mainly of interest to advanced users or web developers. What you NEED to know to sell articles on your site with this plugin is:
- Register with Reporters Online to get the plugin.
- We'll send you an email with the download link to our plugin. This may take some time, and check your junkmail folder...
- Install the plugin. You'll see RO Pay on your WordPress dashboard. (More on how to install plugins: here... This one needs to be uploaded manually for now)
- Select Feather in the button settings and enter your mail address to register with Katalysis. Check the 'Agree with terms and conditions'-checkbox. You need this to get the plugin to work and to receive royalties on the sales of your work.
- Set the 'Default editor share' at the Feather settings to 10%. This setting is for future use (as in: it may not always be 10% for all plugin users). Do NOT set it to 0 (zero).
- You can add your own header and text for the payment screen by entering them at RO Pay - Feather - Wallet settings (add after =...).
- You can set a site-wide default price at RO Pay - Feather - default price. Use, for example, 0.50 or 0,50. 50 or 050 will lead to a price of 50 euro's
- Save the settings.
- Select 'Katalysis' on existing or new posts if you want to charge readers for your work and enter a price for your article. Select 'Free' (or nothing) if you don't want to charge them.
- Now people can buy articles on your site if they have a Katalysis account. Or they can get an account and then buy your articles.
Q: How can I get the plugin?
A: You need to register with us.
Q: How does it work?
A: After registration with Reporters Online (free), we’ll send you the plugin. This can take up to 24 hours because we have to do some checking first. Upload the zip-file as you would with any other plugin. Afterwards, just select 'Katalysis' on regular posts and pages (it will work only on custom posts that use the WP database the regular way) and you’re good to go.
Q: Why do I have to register with you?
A: Because we don’t want you selling anything illegal with it, so we check your site or sites. And besides: we can’t pay your royalties if we don’t know who you are.
Q: Can my readers pay with other systems than Katalysis?
A: For now: no.
Q: Can I set my own prices?
A: Enter a price in the price field and save. Prices are in full euro's. 1 = €1, and so is 01. 0.50 or 0,50 is 50 cents. To adjust the price after publication: set a new price and save..Please note that these prices will only work on your own site. Articles published in Blendle through our 'Send to online newsstands'-service will have the default RO prices in Blendle: €0,29 for short, €0,69 for long articles
Q: Can I make paid articles available for free?
A: Sure, just select 'Free' instead of 'Katalysis' and save.
Q: My readers are used to free content. How will they react to paid content?
A: You will certainly get some reactions, your more loyal readers will understand that you need to be paid for your work and will be happy to see less advertising on your site.
As of summer 2018, Blendle has stopped support for their payment system. This means it will eventually stop working. Users of older plugin version can update to RO pay 2.3.3 (or newer) and migrate their Blendle settings to Katalysis.
To make this work you need to:
- Remove older plugin and install the RO Katalysis plugin (ro_pay_kata-latest.zip)
- Select 'Migration' in the admin settings of the plugin (see the admin dashboard of WordPress)
- Press 'Run'
All Blendle settings, including prices, should migrate flawlessly. It make take a while..
If you need our support, please mail email@example.com.
Q: What is the ‘Send to online newsstands’ button for?
A: It sends your article to Reporters Online for publication in Blendle. This may take some time, because we have to do some technical checks, mostly on images, before passing it on. Please notify us if you want to use this service: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Can I send any article to Blendle?
A: If there isn’t anything illegal in it: yes. It has to meet certain technical requirements though, the two most important are: use large images (.jpg or .png), and keep in mind that Blendle is not exactly made for multimedia. Video embedding won’t work, for example, and neither will anything more advanced than that. For more details, see our CMS manual.
Q: Should I use that button?
A: If you want to reach an audience of 1.300.000 plus and growing fast, the answer is probably yes..
Q: Can I sell subscriptions with this plugin?
Q: Can I sell file downloads with this plugin, for example ebooks?
A: No. This plugin is meant for selling content ON websites, not for downloads. There are many alternatives available for selling ebooks etc.
Q: I am a publisher, not a freelance journalist. Can I use your plugin?
(You can find the settings on the left after logging in on your admin dashboard)
- 'Readable bij admin': check this if you want the Blendle Button turned off for admins.
- 'Readable by all users except subscribers': check this if you want the Blendle Button turned off for all logged in users except WordPress subscribers to your site. use this if you want contributors to read for free.
- 'Readable by all users': any logged in user can read articles for free.
- 'How many paragraphs should be displayed for free?' Enter the number of paragraphs that are freely available for readers in your articles.
- 'Exclude paid-for articles from feed?' This removes articles with the Katalysis payments activated from your rss feed(s), so people can't read it for free through your feed.
- Articles: articles where you have selected Katalysis or the Send to online newsstands button are marked here.
- See here
Q: Does this plugin work on wordpress.com sites?
A: No. You need a self-hosted WordPress site.
Q: Can I use my own CSS on the payment button?
A: For now: no.
Q: On what (WordPress) sites will this plugin work?
A: Most sites and themes should work, but you need WordPress 3.1.3 or higher. If it doesn't work or if you encounter plugin conflicts: please mail us at email@example.com. For security reasons it's best to use a PHP-version of 5.3 or higher. Contact you hosting company if you need an upgrade.
Q: Can I put the entire article on my front page?
A: Yes, but the button will only work on the post itself, not on what you put on the front page. So if you put an entire story on the front page (not a good idea anyway), it won't have the Katalysis button.
Q: Does the button have a sticker, button, logo, text or whatever on my front page to indicate which articles are paid and which are free?
A: We may add a setting for that eventually, but even if we do chances are it won't work on your site. There are thousands of WordPress themes around, it's nearly impossible to get such a button to work properly on all of them. Best solution (for now, and probably forever) is to add text manually - 'Pay with Katalysis' for example.
Q: Will this plugin work with cached articles?
A: It should work, but it may be a problem. This plugin is meant for personal sites that don't need caching. If you have a website big enough to need plugins like Supercache or W3 and experience problems with caching, please mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we can probably work out a solution.
Q: Will you make this plugin available for other content management systems?
A: For now: no.
Q: How can I reach you for support?
A: We prefer to handle all plugin questions in a Facebook group (mainly Dutch, but English spoken). This keeps communication efficient. For complicated issues: mail us at email@example.com, response will be significantly less fast.
Q: What is your response time for support?
A: On Facebook, 18/7 nearly realtime (Amsterdam CET, the other six are for sleeping).
Q: Is there a support forum?
A: No. Please use Facebook.
Please notify us if you encounter problems at firstname.lastname@example.org, this will help us to improve the plugin. And/or use the WordPress plugin forum.
As of now (11/02/2017)
- This plugin will sometimes cause problems if you add scripts (slideshows, pop-ops, lightboxes etc.) to your posts. Please contact us for support.
- This plugin may cause occasional site performance problems with various types of specific server settings of your hosting company.
- Things will go wrong if you use TIFF images.
- This plugin may cause (small) design conflicts with related content plugins and -widgets and other stuff you add to the end of your posts.
- Like any other external plugin, this one doesn't work on wordpress.com websites.
Q: How can I see my sales?
A: We' mail you an update each quarter. You can ask for your results anytime, we'll respond as soon as we can. Katalysis will make a dashboard for your sales on your own site available somewhere in 2018/early 2019.
Q: How will I get my royalties?
A: Before we can pay your royalties we need your bank account data, we'll mail you about it. You only need to do this the first quarter you publish articles through Reporters Online (or if your bank account changes..). From Q4 2018/Q1 2019 sales on your own site will be paid directly by Katalysis to you. Royalties on sales in Blendle will continue to be paid by RO.
We need a minimum of 30 days after each quarter for payments. For more information see our Terms and Conditions.
Q: How much royalties will I get?